What will I learn?
The new specialist engineering courses include a core of mandatory content, plus a range of bespoke units to equip learners with the skills they need in the workplace, or on specialist higher education courses.
- Unit 1 - Engineering principles (written exam)
- Unit 2 - Delivery of an engineering process safely as a team (assignment)
- Unit 3 - Engineering product design and manufacture (controlled task)
- Unit 10 - Computer aided design in engineering (assignment)
What skills do I need?
Cognitive and problem solving skills: use critical thinking, approach non-routine problems applying expert and creative solutions, use systems and technology, research actively and methodically, practical engineering skills.
Intrapersonal skills: communicating, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation, self-management, adaptability and resilience, self-monitoring and development, ability to learn independently.
How is the course graded?
All units are assessed using a grading scale of distinction, merit or pass. Units 1 and 3 are graded by the exam board.Units 2 and 10 are graded internally and moderated by the exam board.
What is next after the course?
This qualification is recognised by higher education institutions as meeting admission requirements for many relevant courses in a variety of areas of the engineering sector, for example:
- BEng (Hons) in Engineering
- BEng (Hons) in Electronics Engineering
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) in Mathematics
This qualification also supports progression to job opportunities in the engineering sector including:
- Engineering operative
- Manufacturing operative
- Semi-skilled operative
This qualification also supports those following an apprenticeship in engineering who are looking to work and progress in the engineering sector in an engineering operative role.
What is next for me after this course?
With a clear path from the BTEC Level 2 Engineering course there are opportunities for students to consider careers in:
- Engineering crafts
- Technical apprenticeships
- Electrical apprenticeships
- Engineering degrees
- BTEC Higher Nationals
- A range of employment in industries such as car / automotive / environmental and renewable energy / mechanics / transport / medical services / aeronautical.