Holidays and absences in term time
New government regulations have made it clear that a school or academy may not grant any leave of absence from school during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Our duty is to ensure all students have complete access to the education provided and we ask for parental support to ensure this happens.
- A parent does not have the right to take a child out of school for a holiday or absence in term time.
- The school will refuse an application for absence unless parents can demonstrate and prove there are exceptional circumstances relating to the request.
- Absence from Bedlington Academy for any reason has a significant effect on learning and is proven to reduce student grades.
- If a holiday or an absence is taken when permission has not been granted, it will be recorded as an unauthorised absence (truancy) and noted on the student’s record of achievement. The information will be sent to Northumberland County Council who will consider whether a fine should be issued.
- If a student already has poor attendance and an unauthorised absence is taken, the information may be sent to Northumberland County Council Attendance Enforcement Team who will consider legal proceedings at a magistrate’s court.