Why have a uniform?
Here at Bedlington Academy we are proud to be introducing a brand new uniform that will bring a fresh new look to our school. We are confident this will boost students’ pride in their learning. We believe that proper school uniform is important because it:
- instils pride in our students and the wider community
- encourages identity with, and support for, our school ethos
- protects children from social pressures to dress in a particular way
- nurtures cohesion and promotes good relations between different groups of students
- supports effective teaching and learning.
We hope you will support us in embracing this positive change for Bedlington Academy.
The Academy uniform
|Ties, shirts and jumpers
- Plain white school shirt buttoned to the neck
- School tie
- Grey v-neck jumper with school badge or grey cardigan with school badge
|Trousers and skirts
While we are more than happy for parents and students to purchase school uniform from a wide variety of sources, we have worked closely with Emblematic to create trousers and skirts with the Academy logo, which meet our uniform rules.
Should parents choose to purchase items from other suppliers then the style and cut of the trousers/skirt should be the same as those provided by Emblematic.
- Plain black formal straight cut trousers - not jeans, leggings or stretchy style. Must be at least 7.5inches/18cm wide at the bottom.
- Pleated or straight pencil skirt - not tight fitting or stretch material and must be no more than one inch above the knee.
- Plain black, formal, leather or leather style shoes which can be polished. No trainers, plimsolls, pumps or boots.
- Socks must be black or grey with trousers.
- Black, white or grey ankle socks or below the knee socks may be worn with skirts. Tights can be worn with the skirt but they must be opaque.
- Outside coats must be removed when entering the school building.
- Caps are not to be worn on the school premises. Woollen hats may be worn between the autumn and spring half terms but must be removed when entering the school building.
All items are available from Emblematic
- PE polo shirt – compulsory item
- Black shorts/tracksuit bottoms/leggings – compulsory item
- Mid layer top – optional item
- Hoodie – optional item
- Rain Jacket – optional item
- Skort – optional item available
- Sports sock – optional item
Indoor trainers with non-marking soles are to be worn in the sports hall (compulsory). Boys are required to wear studded boots when participating in certain activities on the grass.
Moulded boots and Astro trainers are the only suitable footwear which will be accepted on the 3G Sports Pitch. Metal studs, blades and flat sole trainers are not accepted (compulsory). Plimsolls, Converse, or canvas type shoes are not suitable.
A black base layer may be worn underneath the PE t-shirt during the colder months.
- The Academy reserves the right to decide that the cut and colour of a student’s hairstyle is inappropriate e.g. tramlines, mohicans, extreme short sides with longer on top.
- Hair should be a natural colour (one colour only).
- Students must wear their jumper or cardigan over their trousers or skirt.
- Students may wear one single metal stud in each earlobe – no other visible piercings.
- Visible body piercings are not allowed e.g. nose, tongue, top of the ear. Students will not be allowed to cover piercings with an elastoplast. Parents are advised that if a child is to have a piercing it must take place at the start of the six weeks’ holiday and it must be removed on the first day of term.
- No necklaces, bracelets or rings.
- No false, gel or acrylic nails and no garishly coloured varnish.
- For health and safety reasons, nails need to be of a sensible length.
- Large fashion belts are not acceptable or part of the school uniform.
- No false eyelashes.
- No make-up except in Years 9, 10 and 11 where discreet, natural make-up can be worn.
- Hair bands should be thin and not overly decorative e.g. no large flowers.
- No tattoos.
- No fake tan.